Cauliflower Rice

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Let me tell you about the greatest discovery I've made since I started Atkins - Cauliflower Rice. If you aren't a low carb enthusiast, or if you're new to low carb living, you might be looking at your screen like I've lost my mind. "But Allie, you can't make low carb rice! It's 20 carbs per half cup! I have to give it up to do low carb!" Well my dear friends, let me show you an excellent low carb rice substitute that takes very little work for some very tasty rewards, and is green to boot!

I've seen this recipe all over the web, and there are many variations, but this is mine. I am a huge fan of cauliflower florets on my salads and stir fries, but not a fan of the stems. This is an excellent use of the stems, though I usually include a few florets for a nice texture variance.

I have a few ideas of what to do with this discovery. I am a sucker for rice in general. It's one of my trigger foods. I am hoping to develop this a bit more so hopefully I can make some sushi and rice balls for my bento lunches. I need to figure out how to make them more sticky.

Cauliflower Rice a la Allie
Food
1 head of cauliflower
1/2 tbs of good sea salt

Equipment
1 fairly large bowl with a good lid or plastic wrap to cover it
Box grater
knife to trim the cauliflower
microwave

1. Trim and wash your cauliflower, cutting the florets off the stem. Dry it all very well
2. Grate the stem on the largest grater side. Put your bowl in the sink and do this in the sink because it's messy.
3. Grate a few of the florets as well, and once you get to where they are too small, you can always crumble them with your fingers.
4. Add salt, toss
5. Cover the bowl with either your lid or plastic wrap.
6. Microwave for 5-7 minutes.
7. Fluff like you fluff rice
8. Eat. Optionally with butter. Mmmmmmm.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Low Carb Foodie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino