Quick Breakfast

Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's been drilled into our heads that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I used to not be a big breakfast eater. I was lucky to maybe grab a bagel or some sort of microwaved, processed piece of junk. Most of the time I'd just skip breakfast all together. But since I started having hypoglycemic episodes, I have found breakfast helps keep my blood sugar stable.

The problem with breakfast is most people complain they have a lack of time. Well, with a few key investments, and an investment in yourself, I have found I can make and eat breakfast in the morning in less than 15 minutes with a bit of planning ahead. You are worth a 15 minute investment in yourself! Eggs, by far, are the cheapest and easiest way to get a good boost in the morning.

1. Buy a small non-stick skillet just for eggs and never let metal touch it. A non-stick skillet is simply the best thing for making egg dishes of all kinds. Scrambled, fried, or omelette, it will make cooking and clean up a breeze. I still use butter or oil with my non-stick.

2. Cook some things ahead of time. I tend to buy bacon in bulk and I love to make my own lower carb turkey sausage. I will cook large batches in the oven or on the grill, and then freeze in individual portions. You can just pop it in the microwave while cooking your eggs or getting dressed and you are good to go. If you enjoy hard boiled eggs, these are also excellent to make ahead on those "I hit my snooze button six times" mornings.

3. Include fat! It's tempting to grab the non-stick spray, but that pat of butter you cook your eggs in will not only make them taste divine, but will also add some fat and some staying power to the calories you eat. My completely non-scientific research on using butter versus spray on the same meal seems to indicate butter made me feel fuller longer.

Here is one of my go to breakfast options. It takes me less than 10 minutes from start to finish.


Bacon and Cream Cheese Omelette
3 eggs
2 tbs of water
1 tbs cream cheese, cut into tiny bits
1 tbs butter
2 tbs real bacon bits
1-2 shakes of Cavender's Greek Seasoning

1. Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat, once the pan is hot add your butter and melt.

2. While the butter is melting, combine eggs and water, stir until combined completely. Add seasoning, stir even more until it's all well mixed.

3. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, cook until the bottom is set. Using a rubber or silicone spatula, lift the edges of the egg up and allow the uncooked egg to flow under the cooked egg

4. When it is almost set, add the cut up cream cheese and bacon bits to just to one side of the middle. Fold the eggs over the bacon and cream cheese and let cook for about 30 seconds.

5. Slide onto a plate. Eat. Savor. Mmmm..

Nutrition, Per Lose It!
Fat 35.5g 74%
Carbs 2.1g 2%
Protein 26.1g 24%

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Low Carb Foodie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino